For exclusive offers and regular updates, please subscribe to our newsletters.
Onam is celebrated on the first month of Chingam. People celebrate this grand festival by wearing new apparels, preparing delicious dishes, participate in boat race, decorate the house with colorful “Pookalam” and so on. This special occasion can be made more special by exchanging alluring gifts among each other. The articles in this chapter will give an insight about the different gifts that can be sent to loved ones on Onam and also about other gift ideas for the celebration of the same.
India basks in the glory of vibrant festivities. Onam is the most celebrated festival of Kerala. This ten days long ecstasy comprises of grand feasting, boat races, songs, dances and jubilant merriment. This festival commemorates the true devotion of benevolent king Mahabali to Lord Vishnu. It also reminisces the sacrifice of human pride of the great king and his final retrieval. According to popular fables, the ‘Vamana’ avatar of Lord Vishnu granted the king his sole wish of visiting his kingdom once in a year before his redemption. It is believed that King Mahabali returns to his kingdom during the days of Onam celebration.
Onam or Thiru Onam, the harvest festival of Kerala is celebrated in the Malayalam month of Chingam (August-September). People adorn themselves in beautiful new clothes. An ornate flower carpet or ‘Pookalam’ is laid at the entrance of each house to welcome King Mahabali. Onam is all about sincere rituals and gorging on sumptuous delicacies, ‘Sadhya’. The aroma of ‘Payasam’ (rice pudding) fills the air during this 10 days long celebration. This year Onam will be celebrated on 7th September, Sunday.
The Government of Kerala has termed the Onam days as the ‘Tourism Week’. It is the best time to visit ‘God’s Own Country’ as the state gets engrossed in fervorous procession of elephants with exquisite caparisons, feisty fireworks and spectacular ‘Kathakali’ dances. The coastal state also witnesses various sports and cultural activities during this festival. The most famous of them all is ‘Vallamkali’ or the grand boat race. The long snake boats which take part in this competition are called ‘Chundans’ as their long hulls and sterns resemble the raised hood of King Cobra. The tussle of pace in the backwaters of Kerala takes the form of a naval warfare with superb manifestation of muscle power, rhythm and speed.
Impressive Gift Ideas for Onam - Onam is the festival of social communion. Apart from offering puja to the Almighty it is also the festival of seeking blessings from the elders of the family and exchanging pleasantries among people of diverse religious beliefs. Choose an expressive presentation for the ones you adore and make this Onam momentous for them.
1. Sweets - The festival of Onam is all about grand feasting and merrymaking. Friends and relatives get together and enjoy mouthwatering delicacies. Sweet dishes like ‘Payasam’ and other traditional desserts are enjoyed by the people of Kerala during these days. Sweets and other mouthwatering eatables are exchanged among the loved ones to build a sense of solidarity. Convey your good wishes to your dear ones with an exquisite assortment of Indian sweets on the auspicious occasion of Onam and make your presence felt among them.
2. Dry Fruits - One of the most enjoyed delicacies of Onam is ‘Payasam’. Munchy dry fruits like cashew nuts, raisins, almonds augment the richness of this delectable dessert. Dry fruits are also proffered to the Almighty as these eatables symbolize affluence. Be a part of this ecstatic festivity with a hamper of tasty dry fruits for your friends and relatives.
3. Apparel Vouchers - The people of Kerala, irrespective of their caste, creed and race get decked up in vibrant fineries for the festival of Onam. An apparel voucher from a leading lifestyle brand will be an apposite gifting option for your loved ones in India. From traditional draperies to apparels of contemporary fashion, they can pick any outfit of their own choice using this paper gift.
4. Flowers - Every house in Kerala is beautified with a mesmerising decoration of flowers or ‘Pookalam’ at the entrance as a part of Onam celebration. The devotees also offer special puja to Lord Vishnu and seek blessings from him for a prosperous future life. An exotic arrangement of colourful flowers is the best gift to convey your heartfelt feelings to your kith and kin and add more joy to the grand festival.
5. Holy Silver Idol - According to popular mythological stories Lord Vishnu incarnated as ‘Vamana’ to end the reign of great king Mahabali and facilitate his final redemption. Devotees offer prayer to Lord Vishnu on the auspicious occasion of Onam. Let the blessings of the Almighty shower on your loved ones with an exquisite silver statuette of Lord Vishnu and Goddess Laxmi.
Onam brings people of all religious beliefs together. It is the celebration of unlimited joy of life. The festival has become the lifeline of Kerala, the land which takes pride in being the example for unity in diversity. Be a part of this grand carnival by showering love on your dear ones with adorable gifts.
Onam is an important Hindu festival of India. These 10 days harvest festival is celebrated with lots of pomp and grandeur in the state of Kerala. As per Malayalam calendar the festival commences in the month of Chingam when Asura King Mahabali visits from Patala . Various activities such as snake boat races, dancing, singing, making of flower carpets and grand feasting are the core essences of this festival. Every Keralite adorn themselves in new apparels and visit temples. People even convey warm wishes by exchanging gifts. Hence, if you are thinking to send gifts to India on Onam to your dear ones then you must know when is Onam in 2012. This year Onam falls on 29th August.
Since shopping through Internet has become quite popular, you can take the help of the online stores in sending Onam gifts to India. Amongst various online store, GiftstoIndia24x7.com brings wide collection of attractive gifts for the festival of Onam. Send these gifts to your dear ones and overwhelm them with joy and happiness. Your dear ones will be pleased to receive these gifts. Some of the wonderful gifts that you can opt for your dear ones on Onam 2012 are as follows:-
Flowers - Flowers are the most beautiful gift items that can be send on any occasion or festival. The sweet fragrance of the flowers will definitely add freshness to the recipient’s mind and soul. Moreover, on this festival people usually decorate their homes with fresh and colorful flowers. Hence, you can opt for lovely flowers such as roses, lilies, orchids etc as gifts for your dear ones on Onam.
Sweet & Cakes - On Onam you can give a delicious treat to your dear ones by sending mouth-watering sweets. Sweets are loved by every Indian. Thus people exchange sweets to express joy and happiness. You can send tasty Indian sweets such as motichoor laddu, peda, kaju barfi, mewa sweets and many more. Along with sweets, you can even send palatable cake. Various flavors of cake such as chocolate, pineapple, strawberry etc are available in the ‘Cakes’ section. Hence send cakes according to your dear one’s taste.
Gift Hampers - Instead of sending single gift items to your loved ones on Onam you can send a complete combo gift from ‘Gift Hampers’ section. Each hamper comes with various gift articles such as cakes, flowers, chocolates, vouchers and so on. They will be enthralled to receive these gifts on such a grand festival. Moreover, if you are sending a gift hamper to your sister, wife, mother or other dear ones you can opt for a hamper that includes items such as saree, cosmetics, jewellery etc. For your brother, husband you can opt for hamper such as Gentlemen’s Hamper, Men''s Pride and so on as they come with various men’s accessories.
Home Decor Items - On Onam people usually decorate their homes with attractive home decoratives. Hence, you can opt for items such as beautiful flower vases, show pieces, wall hangings, wall pictures etc as Onam gifts. These decoratives will surely enhance the beauty of your home.
Silver gifts - You can convey good luck and happiness to your loved ones on Onam by sending precious silver gifts. You can create holy ambiance by sending attractive silver holy idols. Silver coins will be the perfect shagun gifts that you can opt for your loved ones. Apart from these you will also avail gift items such as silver thalis and pooja accessories in this online store.
These are the wonderful range of gifts that you can avail for the festival of Onam. Send these gifts to India and make the festival filled with joy and glory.